Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day 2007

Four freedoms:
The first is freedom of speech and expression, everywhere in the world.
The second is freedom of everyone to worship God in his own way, everywhere in the world.
The third is freedom from want... everywhere in the world.
The fourth is freedom from fear...anywhere in the world.
~ Franklin D. Roosevelt



All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope. ~Winston Churchill



The patriot's blood is the seed of Freedom's tree.
~Thomas Campbell


“In memory of those who served, all gave some, some gave all.”~unknown



In Loving Memory of Ron, We miss you!

Ronald R. Coleman, 75, died Monday, Jan. 17, 2005, at Manor Care Nursing Home. Born March 3, 1929, in Beaver, he was the son of the late Robert and Mary Coleman and was a retired Army major. His burial was in Arlington National Cemetery.

I struggle to find the words to express the honor and pride I feel to have had the opportunity to have shared the many years that I had with Ron. They were good years. They are filled with loving memories. You are gone but not forgotten. I am thankful that I was able to express my gratitude for your dedication, honor, duty, and service to our country. I appreciate that you were proud of me for my service as well. We had a bond that I cherish, treasure, and hold close in my heart. I love you man.

There is a long list of “Ronsisms” that remain with us through the years. Some are sayings and some are just those unforgettable moments that happened that are etched in time.

My mom had lovely dinners with guests. One dinner I remember was with Miss Wynn who is allergic to cats. Miss Sally was also present. Ron was the lone male. He accepted the duty to confine the cats to an upstairs bedroom. He arrived downstairs with blood running down both his arms. We all rushed him with my Mom in the lead to render aid. He kept saying “It’s only a little scratch!” He was wounded doing battle with White cat and never batted an eye.

Once a bird was loose in the house and using his quick judgment Ron decided to put away the cat with claws first. One cat away Ron rushed to find the cat without claws. He rescued the bird from the mouth of the clawless cat and set it free.

Ron would drive over 270 miles one way to get what mom?
That French stuff was not good enough...it had to be….

I will be talking with Mom on the phone and Ron will drop in out of the blue and we will laugh until we cry with a “Ronism”,
“Let the good times roll”
“We gotta get organized”
“Everybody inside,outside!”,”Everybody outside,inside!”
“Everybody upstairs, downstairs!”,“Everybody downstairs, upstairs!”
”If you have two, turn one in”," If you have one, requisition another one”,
when I would catch Ron dozing off….”guard duty, heavy guard duty”.
Ron would make his entrance with a loud “Airborne!” and my mumbled quip back would be…”Yeah, so’s bird dirt….” He would chuckle every time…

Thank you again for your service.
Thank you for your generosity.
Thank you for loving my mom.
I miss you.

Ron spoke with pride of one day resting in Arlington.
This video is for you buddy.







Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday that is observed on the last Monday of May (observed this year on 2007-05-28). It was formerly known as Decoration Day. This holiday commemorates U.S. men and women who have died in military service to their country. It began first to honor Union soldiers who died during the American Civil War. After World War I, it expanded to include those who died in any war or military action.~ Wikipedia


"...gather around their sacred remains and garland the passionless mounds above them with choicest flowers of springtime....let us in this solemn presence renew our pledges to aid and assist those whom they have left among us as sacred charges upon the Nation's gratitude,--the soldier's and sailor's widow and orphan."
~General John Logan



These heroes are dead.
They died for liberty - they died for us.
They are at rest.
They sleep in the land they made free, under the flag they rendered stainless, and under the solemn pines, the sad hemlocks, the tearful willows, and the embracing vines.
They sleep beneath the shadows of the clouds, careless alike of sunshine or of storm, each in the windowless Place of Rest.
Earth may run red with other wars - they are at peace.
In the midst of battle, in the roar of conflict, they found the serenity of death.
I have one sentiment for soldiers living and dead: cheers for the living; tears for the dead.
~Robert G. Ingersoll



Remember those who died for our freedom.

Support our troops!




Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Enjoy your Memorial Day Raggedy.

May 27, 2007 10:31 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

What a heart-warming post; it makes me more proud to be an American.

May Ron and all the soldiers and veterans rest in peace.

Welcome back, my friend. You were missed!!

Love & hugs!
Karen

May 27, 2007 10:56 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

What a wonderful Memorial Day post

May Ron and all the Veterans rest in peace.

Glad you are back, I have missed you.

May 27, 2007 11:21 PM  
Blogger Hale McKay said...

A very stirring and thought provoking tribute. I'm afraid so many have forgotten what Memorial Day truly is for ...

May 27, 2007 11:34 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Beautiful Raggedy! Just truly Beautiful and very special, too...
Soooooo good to see you are back blogging, my dear. YOU WERE MISSED!

May 28, 2007 12:28 AM  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Who can top this one? Not I!

May 28, 2007 4:04 AM  
Blogger Tamara said...

What an awesome post,chic-a-dee.Sometimes we don't stop and think about the REAL reason for these holiday's such as this one.It's so nice to have someone bring you back to reality on these special days.
Thanks hun!
Luv ya,
Tammi

May 28, 2007 4:48 AM  
Blogger EV said...

Glad you're back, Raggedy! Have a safe and happy Memorial Day. ;)

May 28, 2007 5:10 AM  
Blogger wazza said...

Gidday Raggedy,
Welcome back to blog world. Youse was missed. A fine tribute and such a moving piece about your Memorial Day.
Keep on ablogging oh Cool Raggedy One.

May 28, 2007 7:32 AM  
Blogger phoenix said...

Thank you for stopping by Raggedy. I am also glad you are back.

Have a safe and happy holiday! Hugsssssssss

May 28, 2007 7:57 AM  
Blogger Ed Bremson, MFA said...

Raggedy
So good to see you back in the blogosphere. I suppose some of your computer issues have been resolved. Great!

I am real busy right now taking a graduate level Comparative Literature course, so I am not able to blog right now. This may go on for awhile, but I will return.

Good to hear from you. take care and good luck.

May 28, 2007 9:41 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

What a wonderful and truly fitting Memorial Day post you have here Raggedy! I am sure that Ron would have been honored by it. As am I, on this day chosen to honor all those who made the ultimate sacrifice for this country. Thank you truly!!! ~ jb///

May 28, 2007 9:42 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Welcome back Cool One.

Very good post, I am sure Ron is smiling down on you after reading this post.

Have a nice day

May 28, 2007 9:44 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Raggedy, I sure are glad to see you blogging. Have you felt that a lot of us were praying for you!

This is a wonderful Memorial Day post. It should win highest honors if there was one for Memorial Day posts, it's the nicest I've seen!

Mrs. Jim's half-brother died in WWII a few months before she was born. Although she never knew him personally this day is still for him--and the others--even if it was so long ago.
His plane was shot down over the Mediteranin and was never recovered. So he doesn' even have a spot in a national cemetery or anyplace else.

I'm not too lovey, but for you HUGS AND KISSES and just keep on keep'n on. I for one will keep you in my prayers.
..

May 28, 2007 11:05 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I feel like standing and saluting after reading this inspiring post!!

I am so thankful to those who have given their lives while serving on our behalf.

Enjoy this holiday.

May 28, 2007 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, wonderful post! Thank you for writing this. Ron sounds as if he was a wonderful man and you were very blessed to have him in your life (I know you are aware of this :) )

I am so glad you are back to posting again. I was so worried about you. ((HUGS!!))

May 29, 2007 5:53 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

AMEN is all that needs be said. Thanks for a great post. You were lucky to have known such a man as Ron.

May 29, 2007 7:25 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Raggedy,

Such a moving and beautiful post.

I'm so glad I found it!

That last video is awesome!


Thanks,

Junie

May 29, 2007 11:22 AM  
Blogger cube said...

I was worried about you, Raggedy. I'm glad you're back.

May 29, 2007 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the Ron memories-He was a good man- love you -Mom

May 29, 2007 3:07 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Well done Raggedy!! I salute you for this wonderful warm post!! Thank you.

May 29, 2007 9:29 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Raggedy ~~ This is a wonderful tribute to Memorial Day and there are so many great words there and a personal tribute to Ron. May they all rest in peace, those who paid the supreme sacrifice. Lest we forget.
Thanks for your comments, it is lovely to have you back. I hope all is well with you and that yoi plan to stay with us. Take care, Love, Merle.

May 30, 2007 2:55 AM  
Blogger Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

Raggedy - An awesome tribute to Ron and to the other men and women who have sacrificed for everyone else. I am glad I got to view it.

It was great to read that your mother and you have "Ronisms" during your conversations.

(and thank you for the anniversary wishes)

May 31, 2007 5:17 PM  

<< Home


Copyright © 2006- 2022 It’s a Raggedy Life. All rights reserved.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License. It's a Raggedy Life