Monday, February 12, 2007

Paul Simon

#4

Music, once admitted to the soul, becomes a sort of spirit, and never dies. ~Edward George Bulwer-Lytton


Paul Simon
From Wikipedia

Early life and career
Paul Frederic Simon (born October 13, 1941) is an American singer-songwriter and guitarist, half of the folk-singing duo Simon and Garfunkel who continues a successful solo career. In 2006, Time Magazine called him one of the "100 people who shape our world".

Paul was born into a Hungarian Jewish family in Newark Heights, New Jersey, who soon moved to Kew Gardens Hills, Queens in New York City.

Solo career
After Simon and Garfunkel split in 1970, Simon began to write and record solo material. He released Paul Simon in 1972, which contained one of his first experiments with world music, the Jamaican inspired Mother and Child Reunion, and There Goes Rhymin' Simon in 1973, which featured such popular hit songs as "Something So Right" (a tribute to his first wife, Peggy) and "Kodachrome". His 1975 album Still Crazy After All These Years is considered to be among his finest work, particularly the title track and the hit single "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover." Although mostly silent over the next ten years, he kept himself in the public with songs such as "Slip Slidin' Away", "Late in the Evening", "Hearts and Bones", and "The Late Great Johnny Ace", his tribute to slain ex-Beatle John Lennon.



Personal life
Simon has been married three times. His first was to the slightly older Peggy Harper; they were married in late autumn 1969. The song "Train in the Distance", from Simon's 1983 album, is about her. They had a son, Harper Simon, in 1972. They divorced in 1975, though on good terms.

His second marriage was to Carrie Fisher (Hearts and Bones is about her) to whom he proposed after a New York Yankees game. They were married on August 16, 1983 for a period of just eleven months, during which time she miscarried.

Simon's current wife is Edie Brickell to whom he was married on May 30, 1992. Their first child, Adrian Edward, was born by the end of the year. Daughter Lulu Belle followed in 1995 and son Gabriel Elijah in 1998. His first son, Harper is a guitarist. His son Adrian also plays guitar.

These are some of my favorite vids.

1975

1987

2007 ("Slip Sliding Away" on Charlie Rose)

Labels: ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Raggedy ~~ Enjoyed your musical post. I like Paul Simon too. Glad you enjoyed What will matter. Thanks for your visit and kind words. Take care
dear friend, Love Merle.

February 12, 2007 8:28 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

I like your musical mondays.

It's almost like a history lesson..I didn't know he was married to Carrie Fisher. Is it my imagination or does she always look like she's mad?

February 12, 2007 8:33 AM  
Blogger Vickie said...

Thanks for another Music Monday and this is one musician I really like.

You have good taste...Thanks for being you so special and yes "The Cool One"

February 12, 2007 10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love Paul Simon. I saw Simon and Garfunkel in concert c.1968 at Duke University.

Thank you, oh cool one.

February 12, 2007 10:57 AM  
Blogger phoenix said...

Paul is one of my favs too. Nice to read a bio like that. Thanks gf :)

February 12, 2007 1:50 PM  
Blogger Leann said...

thanks for sharing.I like paul to.God bless.

February 12, 2007 4:08 PM  
Blogger Tamara said...

I agree w/ leann.Thanks for the info.
hugs

February 12, 2007 4:53 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I just saw Paul Simon on the PBS "Mark Twain Awards"...given to Lorne Michaels of SNL Fame, this year...Paul Simon was the Host of SNL the second week it was on the air back in 1975 and he is supposed to be a very close friend of Michaels...He sang..."Still Crazy...." without playing, himself....It was kind of nice to see him out from behind the guitar. He is a true "artist"...! Great choice, Raggedy.

February 12, 2007 4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Paul Simon. I think I was born in the wrong era!

February 12, 2007 7:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great taste, Raggedy - love Paul Simon!

February 12, 2007 8:14 PM  
Blogger Bossy said...

I LOVE Paula Simon...but I love Simon and Garfunkel even better..

a little Bridge over Troubled Water,or Mrs Robinson..oh yeah. now we are talking.

February 12, 2007 9:24 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi again Raggedy ~~ Thanks for your visit. Glad you enjoyed The Bid Wheel
It was a nice story and the Power of Prayer was too. My corned beef was yummy, did you get any to cokk for yourself? Take care, my friend, Love, Merle,

February 13, 2007 3:50 AM  
Blogger wazza said...

Gidday Raggedy,
My favourite Simon & Garfunkel song is "Bridge Over Troubled Waters".
As much as I know (or think I know) about music I still learn new things like Paul being married to Debbie's little girl Carrie Fisher.
Thanks for the great post on Paul Simon.

February 13, 2007 5:28 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Yup, I have been listening to Paul Simon for a long time and many generations will be for a long time to come.

February 13, 2007 7:36 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I've never seen him in concert but love to listen to him. Thanks R.

February 13, 2007 7:39 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

A great artist but my preference was for Simon and Garfunkel together they made beautiful music.

February 13, 2007 7:46 AM  
Blogger EV said...

Excellent choice!

February 13, 2007 9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simon & Garfarkul were always one of my favorite groups! Thanks for the bio, Raggedy.
((hugs))

February 13, 2007 9:57 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Great musical post Raggedy! I always loved Simon and Garfunkel. Interesting facts about Paul Simon. Thank you Raggedy!

February 13, 2007 12:10 PM  
Blogger Deb @ Sugarfused said...

I honestly didn't know that Paul and Edie were still married! That's good to hear. I'm love both of them :))

February 13, 2007 12:56 PM  
Blogger masgblog said...

love the post and I adore Paul Simon.....thx!

February 13, 2007 1:46 PM  
Blogger ~grey said...

I just love the quote you have at the beginning of this post...
So true~!

I also love Paul Simon!
All his music... from all the years... Just so soulful.

Thank you
(((HUGS)))

February 13, 2007 3:04 PM  
Blogger Hale McKay said...

Of course, it is a matter of taste and opinion, but to me, Paul Simon's solo music has yet to even come near that which he provided while teamed with Art Garfinkle.

I hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day.

February 15, 2007 12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Copyright © 2006- 2022 It’s a Raggedy Life. All rights reserved.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License. It's a Raggedy Life